Sunday, March 28, 2010

Education at Its Finest

Here I am in the student center. It truly is tragic, and absolutely unpardonable what they are doing in Texas. I, too, hoped that as a nation we had moved past such unabashed racism and classism.

I really wish that we lived in a world where ignorance and fear were not the reigning powers, but of course, we do. I guess the only way we can fight such great unjustice is through the spread of love, acceptance and knowledge. The fact that we live in a country where many forms of love are frowned upon... Love between people of the same gender, love between people of different races: even among forward thinking, liberal, progressive families, there is a large amount of subtle racism... Many white parents would not feel great if their daughter or son brought home a black or hispanic girlfriend/boyfriend, and, I am sure, the same goes for black and hispanic parents of the same nature, love that is expressed by giving a dollar to a homeless man, love even for animals (who hasn't experienced hostility because of being a vegetarian?), and last but not least, love for fellow man in the form of compassion, charitable organizations and government aid, makes it all the more difficult for an individual to spread love and erase fear and hatred. I really do find it surprising, however, how easily who states and nations lend themselves to explotation at the hands of fear mongers. It makes me worry a little about the very fabric of our nation. I have to believe that a rational, educated person, couldn't be exploited so easily by those wishing to gain power and control through the exploitation of entire races and classes. Events like what is happening in Texas make that difficult. Now, I have homework to complete, but I love you.

One last thing: a girl in here, sitting at a computer with facebook open, blasting music, just said "My family would be so dissapointed in me if they knew I was failing three classes."
I'm dissapointed in her, and I'm not her family. Turn off your music and study!!

No comments:

Post a Comment